Union ‘delay tactics’ to stay lawsuit over wharf blockade

April 13, 2018

Legal proceedings against the recently merged militant maritime and construction unions over a blockade at the Victorian International Container Terminal could be delayed for more than a year.

Australian Conservatives leader Cory Bernardi says he’s disappointed the federal government is not doing more to challenge this kind of militancy by, at the very least, having a Minister for Industrial Relations in Cabinet.

The Australian reports, the VICT filed a civil claim against the Maritime Union of Australia and the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union last year over a December protest that left 1000 containers stranded at Melbourne’s Webb Dock for more than two weeks.

Lawyers for the unions yesterday sought a stay of the case until June 30 to allow an appeal by employers against the decision approving the amalgamation to be determined by a full bench of the Fair Work Commission.

Judge Michael McDonald told the Victorian Supreme Court a successful stay argument could be further applied if the amalgamation fight went to the full Federal Court or even the High Court, delaying the civil case for more than a year.

Senator Bernardi has told Paul Murray Live on Sky News the union seems to be trying to drag things out until Labor gets back into the government benches.

To read Tessa Akerman's full article, click here.

To join the Australian Conservatives, click here.

Become a Member

Join the fight to restore conservative principles to the forefront of Australian politics.

Click here to join our party.

Quick Donate

Chip in $5 and become an official supporter of our conservative movement!

donate

Subscribe

Join the fight to restore conservative principles to the forefront of Australian politics.