Australian Conservatives SA MLC Rob Brokenshire has identified a number of difficulties that victims of crime had with accessing compensation payments and the running of their compensation fund.
Speaking with the 1395 FiveAA mornings radio program, Mr Brokenshire asserted that:
- by 2020 the Auditor-General has identified that the fund will have reserves of at least $300 million;
- the fund was being used primarily to offset the deficits of the state government;
- South Australia was the only state applying a Victims of Crime Levy to speeding fines;
- Australian Conservatives were pushing for an independent tribunal headed by the Victims of Crime Commissioner to oversee distribution of monies from the Victims of Crime Fund; and
- he believed there was merit in Crime Stoppers and other volunteer organisations receiving money from the fund to assist victims by helping capture perpetrators.
Share this important information with your family, friends and mates - Like Australian Conservatives on Facebook to stay updated.