The Australian government is set to move all children now held in immigration detention on Nauru to Australia by the end of the year. A move that concerns Conservative Party leader Cory Bernardi.
The Guardian reports, George Brandis, the former attorney general and who is now the high commissioner to the UK, confirmed the plan in a radio interview in London early on Thursday morning.
“There are hardly any children on Nauru and in New Guinea and we expect that by the end of this year there will be none,” Brandis told LBC radio.
His comments follow reports in the Australian newspaper, which said it had been told that the remaining 40 children of asylum seekers still living on Nauru would be relocated to Australia by the end of the year.
The immigration minister, David Coleman, did not dispute the reports.
Senator Bernardi has told Sky News he thinks that resettling these children in Australia is sending the wrong message to the people smugglers.
To read Helen Davidson and Calla Wahlquist's full article, click here.
To subscribe to Conservative Party leader Cory Bernardi's free, weekly podcast, click here.
To donate to the Conservative Party, click here.
To join the Conservatives, click here.
Share this important information with your family, friends and mates - Like Australian Conservatives on Facebook to stay updated.