On this day, 14 May in 1948, the nation-state of Israel was born.
Its establishment was proclaimed by David Ben-Gurion, then head of the Jewish Agency (the primary Jewish not-for-profit organisation that was encouraging the Jewish diaspora to return to the region) who became Israel’s first Prime Minister.
Israel was recognised the same day by then US President Harry S. Truman. Israel's proclamation and declaration of independence was consistent with the Balfour Declaration of 2 November 1917 – announced by the British Government during WWI, two days after it had defeated the Ottoman Turks on their then-occupied territory in the famous Battle of Beersheba.
The Balfour Declaration and, in particular, the United States, supported establishing a “national home for the Jewish people” in the historical home of the Jews, in territory which by 1948 was controlled by Great Britain.
Around 43% of the world's Jews live in Israel today, the largest Jewish community in the world. Despite the significant challenges posed by living under constant threat from some of its adjoining and other Middle Eastern neighbours (some of whom, such as Iran, have sworn to destroy Israel), Israel has become an oasis of Western development, prosperity and innovation.
Celebrate/commemorate this 70th birthday of Israel by:
- indulging in a little kosher food (eg Matzoh ball soup with Challah, or Kugel)
- familiarise yourself with, and share, President Trump's position - and Australian Conservatives' - to position our national embassies in Jerusalem
- acknowledging the existential threats that the Israelis must continue to endure, particularly from its most immediate hostile neighbours such as Hamas in Gaza, Fatah in the West Bank, Hezbollah in South Lebanon and the Golan Heights, and from Iran further afield
- researching online some of the miracles that have sustained historical and modern Israel for centuries, such as their victory in the 'Six Day War'
- paying a visit to your ancestral 'homeland' to appreciate something of your own historical roots,
- sharing this Action Plan post on social media with family, friends and those happy for Jews to have their own home land, and/or
- have your say on Israel and other foreign affairs matters - and invite your friends to do the same - by sharing this Facebook post
Share this important information with your family, friends and mates - Like Australian Conservatives on Facebook to stay updated.