- Australians deserve the most reliable and affordable energy in the world.
- With electricity generation, we are technology-agnostic but subsidy-averse.
- We support nuclear power and a nuclear fuel cycle industry.
- We support all forms of electricity generation and will provide them with legislative certainty and legal protection.
- We do not support any renewable energy targets.
- We will remove all taxpayer and cross subsidies to electricity generation.
- We will require all electricity supplied to the grid to be useable – that is, predictable and consistent in output (kWhrs) and synchronous (at the required 50 Hz range).
- We will allow market forces to provide the most efficient power generation available.
- We will withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord.
|Show your support
for this policy
Australia should have the cheapest and most reliable electricity in the world. We have world-scale and world-class coal, gas and uranium reserves. Yet our electricity sector no longer reflects that.
Australian Conservatives are open to any form of electricity generation, and will provide legislative certainty for the ongoing use of fossil fuels. We will remove the barriers to building more dams for hydro-power and clear the way for nuclear power as well as a nuclear fuel cycle industry.
Australia should also have the cheapest and most reliable gas supply in the world.
We will support landholders’ rights to allow gas production on their properties, and to a reasonable return for that access and extraction, to help ensure there are sufficient quantities available for our domestic and export markets.
Renewable Energy and Climate Change
Australia produces less than 1.5% of global CO2 emissions. Even if our emissions were reduced to zero, it would make no perceptible difference to the climate.
Ideological obsessions with uneconomic renewable technologies to meet unrealistic emissions targets to prevent ‘climate change’ have made our energy unreliable and expensive. Targets and subsidies for renewable energy distort the market and disadvantage consumers. Australian Conservatives are open to renewable energy as an option for electricity generation but we oppose taxpayer and cross-subsidies to support it.
Australian Conservatives will scrap all taxpayer and cross-subsidies for electricity generation and allow market forces to determine the best outcomes for Australian consumers and business.