UK votes to leave the EU (Brexit)

June 23, 2018

On 23 June 2016, UK voters defied the elites of Europe and voted to leave the European Union (known commonly as ‘Brexit’).

The referendum question put to the UK voters was, “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?” The voter turnout was 72% and the result was 52% in favour of leaving (Brexit) versus 48% to remain – a margin that was five-percentage points better than what the final polls predicted.

This was a stunning victory for the “Brexiteers” which included:

  • Boris Johnson, who opposed his then party leader and PM David Cameron as well as then Home Secretary and current UK PM Theresa May, and
  • in particular, Nigel Farage, charismatic leader of the Eurosceptic UK Independence Party (UKIP) that was formed in 1993 for this very purpose and to enhance British sovereignty.

Not only did both major parties and most other parties, media outlets and interest groups in the UK campaign vigorously to remain in the EU, the government of the day (the Tories) sent fliers to every citizen urging them to vote “Remain”. The “Remain” side was fined several times for dirty tactics – eg cheating and a lack of transparency.

When the result came in, the political elites and liberal-left in the UK threw a tantrum and went into a meltdown second only to that which occurred five months later when US Republican candidate, Donald Trump, “came from nowhere” according to (most) polls to win the US presidential election over his Democrat rival, Hillary Clinton.

Celebrate this historic moment for national sovereignty by:

  • flying the Union Jack around your home or from your car
  • donning the red, white and blue colours of the Union Jack
  • hooking into a plate of “bangers ‘n mash” with some crisps (or just a bowl of hot potato chips), washed down with a pint of warm lager
  • viewing footage of some of the best speeches and rhetorical flourishes from inspirational former UKIP leader, Nigel Farage
  • viewing and re-tweeting about Senator Bernardi’s successful 18 June 2018 Senate motion acknowledging the historic Brexit vote by the UK citizens wanting their nation back
  • lobbying our Government’s Trade and Foreign Ministers (Steve Ciobo and Julie Bishop) to advance trade negotiations with both the UK and EU, for the sake of our exporters in particular, and/or
  • sharing this Action Plan post on social media with family, friends and those wanting to retain their personal freedoms, national identity and sovereignty.

More Information:

Current UK PM Theresa May officially initiated Brexit on 29 March 2017 by signing the necessary “Article 50” document and delivering it to the President of the European Council. Whilst the UK was scheduled to leave the EU two years from that date, EU negotiators slowed and obstructed the process by insisting that, before the crucial trade talks begin:

  • the UK pay an exit fee of £50 billion to the EU, and
  • the “rights” of EU citizens in (and interacting with) the UK are discussed.

Unfortunately, these EU tactics found some support inside the UK, including in the ruling Tory party. Certain pro-EU legislators proposed overturning any government plan for a timely and ‘hard’ Brexit – a thorough and abrupt cutting of ties with the EU. Drawing the process out into a phased, painful separation would buy time for other events to influence the shelving of Brexit, frustrating the will of the British people.

Share this important information with your family, friends and mates - Like Australian Conservatives on Facebook to stay updated.

Become a Member

Join the fight to restore conservative principles to the forefront of Australian politics.

Click here to join our party.

Quick Donate

Chip in $5 and become an official supporter of our conservative movement!



Join the fight to restore conservative principles to the forefront of Australian politics.